Telecom continues to be one main industry in terms of synchronization requirements and the need for defining new timing solutions. Synchronization of the radio signal in 4G and 5G mobile networks is one of the main aspects, and the expectation is that synchronization will more and more be a fundamental prerequisite as networks evolve, e.g., 5G evolution towards 6G.
Integration of 5G and future radio technologies with vertical industries (e.g. Industrial automation, Automotive, Aerospace, SmartGrid) is leading to new challenges. Timing Standards in the relevant SDOs are continuously updated to address the new needs. Security and resiliency of timing are expected to be aspects of increased concern.
This session will address the implications for the synchronization needs on the evolution of these networks and services.
Talks and Posters are invited that discuss:
- 5G has been deployed for a few years; meeting the timing requirements is one of the main challenges for these networks: what experience can be shared from these initial deployments?
- What are the challenges introduced by the evolution of the network architecture (e.g., radio access split, shared network resources, network cloudification )?
- What redundancy schemes are considered (e.g., GNSS combined with PTP) for providing the appropriate level of availability? How is the network performance monitored?
- Accurate timing may improve performance in a network, but the design of accurate synchronization networks brings additional costs (especially operational costs) for the network operators: what is the right balance between benefits from accurate timing and related additional expenses?
- What are the synchronization implications on the integration of 5G with vertical industries (e.g., Industrial automation, Automotive, Aerospace, SmartGrid)?
- Introduction of 5G has increased the need for time sync (e.g., due to the broader use of TDD). What new timing requirements are expected in the evolution of the network towards 6G?
- What new timing solutions are being considered in current and future Telecom networks?
- How are standards addressing evolution of the networks and related timing requirements?